Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ShockHound Intv with Drake


SHOCKHOUND: "Fear" was a solid new addition to the retail version of So Far Gone. What's the story behind the song?

DRAKE: "Fear" actually started before I did the So Far Gone mixtape even. I basically began with this record produced by DJ Khalil, and the beat and the way the strings cry tugged at me emotionally. I knew I needed to live a lot more before I could do the music justice. With that being said, I did one-and-a-half verses and quit. I had stopped after I said this line, "I never cried when Pac died, but I probably will when Hov does." I took a break after that because I didn't know where to go from there, and my story wasn't complete yet. I didn't have the song title. I didn't have the hook. I didn't know where I was going with it. I just knew I had a place to start, so I let it sit for six to eight months. It was my choice to put new material on the So Far Gone EP. I thought I could finally finish "Fear" then…I felt like I was ready to finish off those thoughts. I continued the second verse and finished the third verse, which is kind of dedicated to the people around me and what we've been going through as of late. Then I came up with this hook that was like, "Please don't be scared of me." That song is very reflective of where I'm at right now.

SHOCKHOUND: Is "Fear" the best indication of what Thank Me Later will sound like?

DRAKE: Yeah, I think so. Lyrically, I want to keep the album as genuine and honest as "Fear" is, but musically there will be a little more energy. There will be more moments of triumph, because my life is the best it's ever been in my 22 years of existence. I want my music to reflect that, but I still want to be able to relate and connect with people. It's a good indication. There will obviously be some variation — not every track is going to sound like that. I was actually going to save "Fear" for the album, but I wanted to give people another reason to buy the EP. In addition to having an official hard copy of So Far Gone, I wanted to give people something new, so that was my sacrifice.


FULL INTERVIEW HERE

No comments:

Bloggers